An ancient Roman town of Campania destroyed by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D.79. Named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
Casa di Galba
The excavation of this site was begun in 1873-1874 and is still incomplete. A silver bust, supposedly of the emperor Galba, found in the street in front of this house gave the site its name. Twelve stuccoed tufa columns support a portico which encloses this peristyle garden. A marble faced cruciform basin in the center contained a small column with a fountain. The columns were connected by a low wall with an entrance on the east opposite the exedra providing a view of the garden and fountain.
Wilhelmina Jashemski (https://lib.guides.umd.edu/c.php?g=326514&p=2193250)
21 Apr 20210