I.2.28 Casa Della Grata Metallica; Casa Dell’Atrio Tetra-Stilo
An ancient city of Campania destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D. 79, Pompeii was named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
Peristyle garden at the rear of the Casa Della Grata Metallica (also known as the Casa Dell’Atrio Tetra-Stilo).
At the rear of the house there was a peristyle garden with a portico along the east side and part of the south. The excavation took place in 1873-74. A low wall joined three stuccoed brick columns and two engaged ones which supported the portico. There was an entrance to the garden on the south side opposite the door from the tablinum and another on the east opposite the kitchen door, which was closed later according to Mau. The columns were white above the height of the wall and red below. Water was carried to the cistern by a wide gutter on the south and east edges of the garden, and Mau found some evidence of aqueduct water. There was a masonry triclinium (l. medius, 5.30 m; l. imus, 3.85 m; l. summus, 2.70 m) with a circular table (dia. of support, 0.70 m) built against the west wall. Inside of each couch there were four niches (0.19 m wide). The last niche in the south couch was larger in size and separated from the other three by the mouth of the cistern. There was a small masonry podium on the north wall with steps for access. A round tufa altar was located opposite the lectus summus.
- Fiorelli, G. 1875. Descrizione di Pompei, p. 70-1 (worldcat)
- GiornSc, n.s., 1874-1877, col.60
- Jashemski, W.F. 1993, Gardens of Pompeii: Herculaneum and the villas destroyed by Vesuvius. Vol. II, Appendices, p. 25 (worldcat)
- Mau, A. 1874. BdI, pp. 250-252
- Niccolini, F. Le case ed i monumenti di Pompeii, Naples, Vol. II, p. 77
- Soprano, P. 1950, 'I triclini all’aperto di Pompei', In Pompeiana, raccolta di studi per il secondo centenario degli scavi di Pompei, Napoli, Gaetano Macchiaroli, Editore, p. 293, no.2 and figs. 28.6, 29
- Viola, L. 1879. Gli scavi di Pompei dal 1873 al 1878, p. 14 (worldcat)
- Warscher, T. 1937-1957. Codex Topographicus Pompeianus, nos.54-57 (worldcat)
Wilhelmina Jashemski (https://lib.guides.umd.edu/c.php?g=326514&p=2193250)
21 Apr 2021