An ancient city of Campania destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D. 79, Pompeii was named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
Casa Dei Quadretti Teatralli; House of the Calavii; Casa di Casca Longus.
A partially completed wall joined the columns supporting the portico at the rear of this house. Next to this was a small garden which was in an extreme state of ruin at the time of excavation due to the weakening of the wine cellar vaults below. The vaults had openings to admit light and air for the wine ageing and a cistern was also located under the garden. On the portico to the east there was a large terra-cotta puteal. A room on the south end of the east portico contains a garden representation on the west wall. Barely a third of the representation survived and what remains is extremely faded. It is painted in yellow on a small dark green panel in the center of a red wall and shows a pergola with a lattice fences extending from both sides and a section of fence in front.
Excavated 1912, 1926 to 1927.
Jashemski, W.F. 1993. Gardens of Pompeii: Herculaneum and the villas destroyed by Vesuvius. Vol. II, Appendices, pp. 36, 395. (worldcat).
Maiuri, A. 1929. NSc, pp. 414-415 and fig. 26 on p. 401.
Wilhelmina Jashemski (https://lib.guides.umd.edu/c.php?g=326514&p=2193250)
21 Apr 2021