An ancient city of Campania destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D. 79, Pompeii was named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
Fullonica of Stephanus; Fullery of Stephanus.
This house had been converted to a fullery and the small peristyle garden to the rear probably served as a drying area. Five pillars of the portico were connected by a low, marble topped wall. This enclosed the raised garden on the east, north and west sides with a deep gutter running around the garden along the wall.
- Jashemski, W.F. 1979. Garden of Pompeii: Herculaneum and the villas destroyed by Vesuvius, p. 198. (worldcat)
- Jashemski, W.F. 1993. Gardens of Pompeii: Herculaneum and the villas destroyed by Vesuvius. Vol. II, Appendices, p. 35. (worldcat).
- Moeller, W.O. 1976. The Wool Trade of Ancient Pompeii, p. 42. (worldcat)
- Spinazzola, V. 1910-1923. Pompei alla luce degli Scavi Nuovi di Via dell’Abbondanza, pp. 446 and fig. 493 (plan) on p. 773 and fig. 744 (plan) on p. 765.
Wilhelmina Jashemski (https://lib.guides.umd.edu/c.php?g=326514&p=2193250)
21 Apr 2021