An ancient city of Campania destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D. 79, Pompeii was named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
Shop property with peristyle garden and doghouse.
This modest house had rooms opening off the small peristyle garden at the rear of the structure. The rooms had been remodeled to serve as a shop and at the time of the eruption, were in disrepair. Four columns, two of tufa, two of brick, supported the peristyle portico on the north and east sides and were connected by a low wall with an entrance to the garden on the east side. A terra-cotta puteal was located on the east side of the portico. The house to the rear was completely destroyed necessitated the building of a crude doghouse in the last intercolumniation on the east side. Keeping a dog would have prevented intruders from entering through the ruins and robbing the shop as well as the adjacent house (no. 11) where the shopkeeper most likely resided.
Excavated 1912, 1926-27. Bombed in 1943.
- Jashemski, W.F. 1993. Gardens of Pompeii: Herculaneum and the villas destroyed by Vesuvius. Vol. II, Appendices, p. 35. (worldcat).
- Maiuri, A. 1929. NSc, pp. 393-395 and fig. 26 on p. 401.
- Pernice, E. and Winter, F. 1925, Gefässe und Geräthe aus BronzeDie Hellenistische Kunst in Pompeii, p. 32 and plate 21.1.
Wilhelmina Jashemski (https://lib.guides.umd.edu/c.php?g=326514&p=2193250)
21 Apr 2021