I.7.1 House of P. Paquius Proculus; House of C. Cuspius Pansa
An ancient city of Campania destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D. 79, Pompeii was named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
- columns (architectural elements)
- gutters (building drainage components)
- peristyles (Roman courtyards)
- triclinia (rooms)
House of P. Paquius Proculus; House of C. Cuspius Pansa.
This elegant house was excavated in 1923. To the rear was a large and sunny peristyl garden with a portico on four sides supported by sixteen columns. At the northeast corner stood a lava puteal with a gutter that ran around the edges of the garden. In the center of the garden a wooden triclinium was shaded by a pergolas supported by four columns. The nails and the imprint of the wooden structure of the triclinium were clearly preserved. A marble faced rectangular pool, with an apse-shaped extension to the north and a fountain jet, was located in front of the triclinium. This pool was connected to a smaller marble basin between the couches of the triclinium. An excellent view of the garden was afforded from the large salon at the rear of the tablinum with two columns at the entrance of the portico. The oecus also opened on the north portico with a fine view of the garden and the loggia above had a view of the garden as well as views to the sea and the Lattari Mountains.
Excavated 1912, 1915, 1926 and 1936.
- Jashemski, W.F. 1979. Garden of Pompeii: Herculaneum and the villas destroyed by Vesuvius, pp. 92. (worldcat)
- Jashemski, W.F. 1993. Gardens of Pompeii: Herculaneum and the villas destroyed by Vesuvius. Volume 2, Appendices, pp. 37. (worldcat)
- Maiuri, A. 1929. NSc, p. 386, and fig. 18 (plan of triclinium) on p. 387, and fig. 20 (plan) on p. 389.
- Maiuri, A. 1971. Pompeii, pp. 100-101. (worldcat)
- Pernice, E. and Winter, F. 1925, Gefässe und Geräthe aus BronzeDie Hellenistische Kunst in Pompeii, p. 13.
- Soprano, P. 1950. 'I triclini all’aperto di Pompei', In Pompeiana, raccolta di studi per il secondo centenario degli scavi di Pompei, p. 307, no. 30.
- Spinazzola, V. 1910-1923. Pompei alla luce degli Scavi Nuovi di Via dell'Abbondanza, p. 299 and fig. 334 (plan) on p. 297.
- Warscher, T. 1937-1957. Codex Topographicus Pompeianus, appendix on water and photo no. 66.
Wilhelmina Jashemski (https://lib.guides.umd.edu/c.php?g=326514&p=2193250)
21 Apr 2021