An ancient city of Campania destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D. 79, Pompeii was named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
A. The volcanic ledge that this peristyle garden (a) was built on dictated an irregular shape to the portico that enclosed it. The portico had fourteen columns and a rectangular pool in the south-east corner. The west wall of the pool had fourteen small amphoras (30 cm. long; mouth 9.5 cm. wide) arranged in a row of nine on the bottom with a row of eight above. The east wall of the pool had a single row of eight. These provided shelter and spawning places for fish. A possible garden ornament, a tondo (Mus. Naz. inv. no. 121 612), was found in the house. The traces of a garden painting were reported in room II on the lower level by Noack-Hartleben, consisting of a black dado with a yellow fence and foliage painted behind this. B. Built on the volcanic ledge, only a triangular segment of this terrace garden (a) with a portico on the east and north survived. From here the view of the mountains and the Bay could be enjoyed looking over a planted area that was slightly lower than the portico. There was a large light filled room (c) between the two peristyles of this house and terraces on the two lower levels that well could have had potted plants.
- Döhl,Plastik aus Pompeji, p. 42 (worldcat)
- Jashemski, Gardens, 1:110 and fig. 178 on p. 109 and no. 94 on p. 348 (worldcat)
- Jashemski, Gardens, vol. II, pp. 205-206, 364-365 (worldcat)
- Mau, Mitteilungen des Deutschen Archaologischen Instituts (1892), pp. 7, 9-10 and pl.1 [http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/860559196)
- Niccolini, Antonio, Fausto, and Felice, Le case ed i monumenti di Pompei designati e descritti, vol. 4, “Nuovi scavi,” p. 61 (worldcat)
- Noack and Lehmann-Hartleben,Baugeschichtliche Untersuchungen am Stadtrand von Pompeji, pp. 141-157 passim, and pls. 18 (ground floor), 20 (lower levels), figs. 37 on p. 147, 38 on p. 149, pp. 141-157 passim, pls. 18, 20 (plans and section (worldcat)
- Sogliano, Notizie degli scavi di Antichita (1890), p. 328 (worldcat)
- Sogliano, Notizie degli scavi di Antichita (1893), pp. 4, 48-49 (worldcat)
- Sogliano, Notizie degli scavi di Antichita (1894), p. 147 (worldcat)
- Sogliano, Notizie degli scavi di Antichita (1899), pp. 23, 141-143 and fig. 1 (plan) on p. 141 (worldcat)
Wilhelmina Jashemski (https://lib.guides.umd.edu/c.php?g=326514&p=2193250)
21 Apr 2021