An ancient city of Campania destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D. 79, Pompeii was named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
Fourteen fluted white columns supported a portico that enclosed this large garden (a) at the rear of the tablinium. A fence had been attached to the outside of the columns as evidenced by holes with metal pieces remaining; the top holes placed 0.75 m. high. A grand view the length of the garden could be enjoyed from the large exedra (b) to the south, framed by two columns, and many other surrounding rooms had garden views.
- Breton, Pompeia, p. 453 (worldcat)
- Dyer, Pompeii, p. 435 (worldcat)
- Fiorelli, Descrizione di Pompei, p. 323-324 (worldcat)
- Jashemski, Gardens, vol. II, p. 210 (worldcat)
- Schultz, Annali dell’Instituto di Corrispondenza Archeologica, 1838, pp. 200-201, (worldcat)
- Schultz, Annali dell’Instituto di Corrispondenza Archeologica, 1841, p. 120, (worldcat)
Wilhelmina Jashemski (https://lib.guides.umd.edu/c.php?g=326514&p=2193250)
21 Apr 2021