VIII.5.28. Casa della Calce; Casa dell’Imperatore Francesco II
An ancient city of Campania destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D. 79, Pompeii was named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
Three wide doorways led from the atrium of this house, which did not have a tablinium, to the peristyle of this large garden (a). Nine fluted columns supported the portico which bordered the garden on the east, north and part of the west with a gutter on these same sides. Holes in the columns 0.97 and 0.52 m. from the floor remained where a fence had once been attached.
- Fiorelli, Descrizione di Pompei, p. 447 (address given as VIII.vi.10-11) (worldcat)
- Jashemski, Gardens, vol. II, p. 217 (worldcat)
- Mau, Bullettino dell'Instituto di Corrispondenza Archeologica (1883), pp. 230-231 (worldcat)
Wilhelmina Jashemski (https://lib.guides.umd.edu/c.php?g=326514&p=2193250)
21 Apr 2021