VIII.5.37. Casa delle Pareti Rosse; House of the Fabii
An ancient city of Campania destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D. 79, Pompeii was named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
This house was excavated in 1882 to reveal a small garden (a) at the rear entered by passageways on either side of the tablinium. The portico on the east had one column and two engaged columns with a low wall that allowed entrance on the south end. Rooms on the west probably had a roof that extended over the very narrow passageway. A gutter surrounded the garden. The excavation yielded several sculptures in the garden area; a small crouching lion (0.245 m. long; Mus. Naz. inv. no. 120 057) and a head of a tiger (0.10 m. long; Mus. Naz. inv. no. 120 049), both fitted as fountain spouts; a marble fountain statuette of a dolphin (0.19 m. long; Mus. Naz. inv. no. 120 051) which was found in the atrium; a statuette of a young satyr missing arms and legs (0.315 m. high; Mus. Naz. inv. no. 120 048) with an iron pin on the right shoulder for a wall mount; the head of a herm (Mus. Naz. inv. no. 120 050).
- Dohl, Plastik aus Pompeji,p. 46 (worldcat)
- Jashemski, Gardens, vol. II, p. 218 (worldcat)
- Mau, Bullettino dell'Instituto di Corrispondenza Archeologica (1883), p. 108 (worldcat)
- Sogliano, Notizie degli scavi di Antichita (1882), pp. 377, 422 (worldcat)
Wilhelmina Jashemski (https://lib.guides.umd.edu/c.php?g=326514&p=2193250)
21 Apr 2021