An ancient city of Campania destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D. 79, Pompeii was named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
At the rear of the tablinium excavated in 1881 a narrow garden (a) had a portico on the north supported by one pilaster, one engaged column and five stuccoed free-standing columns. The east end of the garden became very narrow with a jut in the back wall and a small, square water basin was built here against the wall. A water channel was shown in the plan on the east, north and west sides of the garden. The terra-cotta puteal that was found in the portico may have once stood over the cistern opening located between the pillar on the northwest corner and the next column.
- Fiorelli, Notizie degli scavi di Antichita (1881), p. 332 (worldcat)
- Jashemski, Gardens, vol. II, p. 216 (worldcat)
- Mau, Bullettino dell’Instituto di Corrispondenza Archeologica (1883), pp. 175-176 (worldcat)
Wilhelmina Jashemski (https://lib.guides.umd.edu/c.php?g=326514&p=2193250)
21 Apr 2021