Italia - Pompeii - Region VIII - Insula vi

VIII.6.2/7. (no. 12 at Pompeii)

At the time of the eruption this site (a) was under construction. A portico was being built on the south and west sides using brick-shaped tufa columns and three old tufa columns. The columns on the south were salvaged from an earlier building. This was a large area, the intended use not clear. It ...

VIII.6.3. (no. 14 at Pompeii)

Only the bases remain of the fourteen brick columns that enclosed this garden (a). The area to the back of this house had been cleared of the wreckage of the earthquake, and the house to the west was in an earlier stage of recovery, to the point where not even the entrance could be determined. Plan...

VIII.6.4-5. Market Garden

After the earthquake the eastern part of this insula had been converted into a market garden. When it was excavated in 1883-1884 some of the soil contours remained. A basin in the northwest corner collected water that was diverted from the street. Gardening tools were found in this garden and the r...

VIII.6.9-10/1. House and Bakery

The atrium at the front of this house had been converted into a bakery. Towards the back a portico surrounded a small area (a). The portico columns were black at the base and red above, three on the north and three on the south and were connected by a low wall 0.47 m. high, but only the bases survi...