An ancient city of Campania destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D. 79, Pompeii was named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
The atrium at the front of this house had been converted into a bakery. Towards the back a portico surrounded a small area (a). The portico columns were black at the base and red above, three on the north and three on the south and were connected by a low wall 0.47 m. high, but only the bases survived. The interior area was paved with opus signinum and in the middle there was a rectangle lined with white and gray marble, a yellow marble cross with a red bordered yellow square in the center. This has sustained much damage since it was exposed. At the outside of the paved area there was a gutter with a cistern opening located between the columns on the west side. This area may have contained potted plants. The portico could be entered directly from entrance no. 9 and various rooms opened off of it, the room on the east (b) had the best view into the portico.
- Boyce, Corpus of the Lararia of Pompeii, Memoris of the American Academy in Rome, 1937, p.78, no.375 (worldcat)
- Jashemski, Gardens, vol. II, p.219 (worldcat)
- Mau, Bullettino dell’Instituto di Corrispondenza Archeologica, 1884, pp.182-183 (location given as VII.vii ) (worldcat)
Wilhelmina Jashemski (https://lib.guides.umd.edu/c.php?g=326514&p=2193250)
21 Apr 2021