Italia - Pompeii - Region VIII - Insula vii

VIII.7.1. Caupona

This caupona, excavated in 1874, had a garden (a) across the back with a low wall on the east and a gutter that ran beside it, most of this covered by a roofed passageway. The northwest corner had a shallow pool, 1.87 x 0.55 m. from which water drai...

VIII.7.10. Shop-House

Behind shop no. 10 and the accompanying living quarters was a garden (a) enclosed by a low wall on the east with an entrance on the north end. The excavations in 1906 uncovered a triclinium (l. medius, 4.60 m.; l. imus and l. summus 3.20 m.) attache...

VIII.7.11.

Behind this shop and the rooms beyond that there was a garden (a). Plans Fig.23, Plan of Region VIII, Insula VII Pleiades ID 432873 TGN ID 7031897 Excavation Dates Unspecified Bibliography Jashemski, Gardens, vol. II, p. 222 (worldcat) Viola, Gl...

VIII.7.12.

The rear of this shop-house had a garden (a), perhaps with rooms overhead supported by columns in the garden according to Fiorelli. Plans Fig.23, Plan of Region VIII, Insula VII Pleiades ID 432873 TGN ID 7031897 Excavation Dates Unspecified Bibli...

VIII.7.24.

The rooms adjoining the atrium of this house, excavated in 1795-1798, had been converted to a sculptor’s workshop. To the left of the atrium and up fifteen steps was a garden (a) with a surrounding portico and a fountain in the center. The tricliniu...

VIII.7.26-27.

Beyond shop 26 and the living quarters behind it there was a very large garden (a) that was entered directly from the atrium through the portico that stood at the north side of the garden. The garden could also be reached by the long, narrow angipor...

VIII.7.28. Temple of Isis

This temple site was excavated in 1764-1766 and although, as Jashemski points out, it was likely that there was a sacred garden surrounding it, she could find no evidence of plantings remaining when she examined it. Ceremonies in a garden in front o...

VIII.7.30. The Triangular Forum

The Doric Temple in the Triangular Forum was excavated between 1767 and 1797. A superlative view from the colonnade at the edge of the cliff looked across the Bay and a marble fountain basin supported by a fluted marble base stood in front of a midd...

VIII.7.6.

The extremely long entranceway from the street led all the way to the back of the house into the garden (a) which was excavated in 1906. A portico bordered the garden on the east with four columns, white on top and black on the bottom, connected wit...