atrium

VIII.2.36/37.

This house was excavated in 1885. The entrance at 37 went into the atrium and beyond that, up two steps, was the peristyle with a portico on three sides supported by stuccoed columns, only three of which have remained to date. The first intercolumniation on the north-east was filled with a wall. A ...

VIII.3.14. House of Queen Carolina; House of Adonis

A large aedicula shrine was built against the rear wall of this long garden (a) directly across from the north side of the atrium, which was entirely open to this view. The shrine stood on a podium 2.00 x 2.15 m.; 0.80 m. high with four steps in front and a marble herm on either side. Two little br...

VIII.4.15. House of C. Cornelius Rufus; House of C. Cornelius Adiutor

Eighteen partially fluted columns supported the large portico (a) surrounding this spacious peristyle garden. Excavated in 1861, the garden was located at the rear of the tablinum and could be viewed from the large triclinium on the east or the exedra on the west. A wooden fence had enclosed the ga...

VIII.4.30.

This tiny house with the small atrium and adjacent rooms had formerly been a porticoed garden, part of house 15 according to Fiorelli. Plans Plan of Region VIII Insula IV Pleiades ID 432873 TGN ID 7031897 Excavation Dates Unspecified Bibliography Fiorelli, Gli scavi di Pompei dal 1861 al 1872, ...

VIII.5.24. Casa del Medico

The famous painting “Judgment of Solomon” (0.45 x 1.55m.; Mus. Naz. inv. no. 113 197; Ruesch no. 1343) was found in this garden (a) on the low wall that connected the four columns and one pillar of the portico. This small garden was located to the right of the atrium and the enclosing portico stood...

VIII.5.28. Casa della Calce; Casa dell’Imperatore Francesco II

Three wide doorways led from the atrium of this house, which did not have a tablinium, to the peristyle of this large garden (a). Nine fluted columns supported the portico which bordered the garden on the east, north and part of the west with a gutter on these same sides. Holes in the columns 0.97 ...

VIII.5.37. Casa delle Pareti Rosse; House of the Fabii

This house was excavated in 1882 to reveal a small garden (a) at the rear entered by passageways on either side of the tablinium. The portico on the east had one column and two engaged columns with a low wall that allowed entrance on the south end. Rooms on the west probably had a roof that extende...

VIII.5.39. House of Acceptus and Euhodia

A. This house was excavated in 1882 to reveal a small garden (a) at the rear entered by passageways on either side of the tablinium. The portico on the east had one column and two engaged columns with a low wall that allowed entrance on the south end. Rooms on the west probably had a roof that exte...

VIII.6.9-10/1. House and Bakery

The atrium at the front of this house had been converted into a bakery. Towards the back a portico surrounded a small area (a). The portico columns were black at the base and red above, three on the north and three on the south and were connected by a low wall 0.47 m. high, but only the bases survi...

VIII.7.24.

The rooms adjoining the atrium of this house, excavated in 1795-1798, had been converted to a sculptor’s workshop. To the left of the atrium and up fifteen steps was a garden (a) with a surrounding portico and a fountain in the center. The triclinium to the north offered a view of the garden and th...

VIII.7.26-27.

Beyond shop 26 and the living quarters behind it there was a very large garden (a) that was entered directly from the atrium through the portico that stood at the north side of the garden. The garden could also be reached by the long, narrow angiportus located at the rear of the east portico of the...