impluvium

VIII.4.15. House of C. Cornelius Rufus; House of C. Cornelius Adiutor

Eighteen partially fluted columns supported the large portico (a) surrounding this spacious peristyle garden. Excavated in 1861, the garden was located at the rear of the tablinum and could be viewed from the large triclinium on the east or the exedra on the west. A wooden fence had enclosed the ga...