insula

VIII.5.15-16/18.

A. Over half the depth of the insula was crossed by a long angiportus which led from the Via dell’Abbondonza to an open area (a) past a wide portico. This extensive area was most likely used as a garden having a water basin in the southwest corner for irrigation. The first two columns in the portic...

VIII.6.4-5. Market Garden

After the earthquake the eastern part of this insula had been converted into a market garden. When it was excavated in 1883-1884 some of the soil contours remained. A basin in the northwest corner collected water that was diverted from the street. Gardening tools were found in this garden and the r...