portico

VIII.2.1. House of Championnet I

This house was excavated in 1799 and to the rear of the tablinium there was a portico which enclosed an area surrounded by a gutter. Openings were cut in the floor where the twelve supporting columns stood to allow light into the rooms below in the volcanic ledge. Mazois and Fiorelli labeled this a...

VIII.2.13.

The room (b) to the east had a good view into this garden (a) which was located to the rear of the tablinium. A column supported portico bordered the garden on the east and south. Plans Plan of the Pompeii Region VIII, Insula II Plan of the Pompeii Region VIII, Insula II, 1-20 Pleiades ID 432...

VIII.2.18-20.

A. The Sarno Bath is included in this block of irregular shaped houses, reached by entrance 17 on the Via della Scuole that goes to the lower levels. On the street level there was a small peristyle garden (a) located in the center of the house. Two pillars supported a portico on three sides of the ...

VIII.2.29-30.

There was a narrow portico on the eastern lower level of this double house 2.20 m. wide with columns connected by a wooden fence. Several steps lower the construction of a supporting wall on the lava ledge allowed room for a small garden (a) with a pool in the center. The house on the west had a te...

VIII.2.34.

A colonnaded portico stood at the edge of the terrace (a) on the street level of this house. Below it was another terrace enclosed by a low wall. Sogliano and Mau disagree as to whether the wall contained a space for plants as only a part on the east remained. This was plastered and painted with a ...

VIII.2.36/37.

This house was excavated in 1885. The entrance at 37 went into the atrium and beyond that, up two steps, was the peristyle with a portico on three sides supported by stuccoed columns, only three of which have remained to date. The first intercolumniation on the north-east was filled with a wall. A ...

VIII.2.39. House of Emperor Joseph II

This was the last of the houses to be built on the Via della Regina, all of which were built over the south wall of the city. Located directly west of the Triangular Forum, it was excavated in 1767-1769, filled in, and then re-excavated in 1885-1886. A triclinium (b) and (b΄) flanked either side of...

VIII.3.18/16-17. House of Diana

When this house was excavated in 1826, Fiorelli determined that after the earthquake it had been divided into two separated residences. The southeast corner was the location of a garden (a) that had a portico on three sides with columns connected by a low wall and pilasters on the south wall. Plans...

VIII.3.24.

A. The earthquake destroyed an elegant house on this site and this house was subsequently rebuilt on the ruins. A long fauces terminated in the garden (a) which was bounded on the north and part of the east and west sides by a portico. A low wall connected the supporting columns with an entrance on...

VIII.3.27.

From the street, the fauces led to the entrance to the garden (a) which was enclosed on the south and west by a portico with five columns and two engaged columns, all connected by a low wall. The original excavation plan shows a water channel on the south and west edges. Plans Plan of Region VIII ...

VIII.3.4. House of Hercules and Auge; House of the Popidii

A. Past the tablinium of this house there was a garden (a) with a portico on the north and most of the west side. B. The garden (a) had an entrance to this area (b) which was planted after having been cleared of old structures. Plans Plan of Region VIII Insula III Pleiades ID 432873 TGN ID 70318...

VIII.4.12-13. Shop-House

These two shops, excavated in 1861, shared a house and a garden (a) to the back. A portico enclosed the garden on all four sides. In the southwest corner of the garden there was a masonry pool with a small water jet column in the center. A bronze basin 0.40 m. dia. with a miniature bronze lion fitt...

VIII.4.15. House of C. Cornelius Rufus; House of C. Cornelius Adiutor

Eighteen partially fluted columns supported the large portico (a) surrounding this spacious peristyle garden. Excavated in 1861, the garden was located at the rear of the tablinum and could be viewed from the large triclinium on the east or the exedra on the west. A wooden fence had enclosed the ga...

VIII.4.26-29. Bakery and House of Felix

Directly across from the Temple of Isis was an entryway to this garden (a) which was located to the rear of the house. On the east there was a portico with two columns and high up on the north wall there was an arched niche. Plans Plan of Region VIII Insula IV Images Fig.14, 14.22.59 (Stanley J...

VIII.4.30.

This tiny house with the small atrium and adjacent rooms had formerly been a porticoed garden, part of house 15 according to Fiorelli. Plans Plan of Region VIII Insula IV Pleiades ID 432873 TGN ID 7031897 Excavation Dates Unspecified Bibliography Fiorelli, Gli scavi di Pompei dal 1861 al 1872, ...

VIII.4.33.

This garden (a) was tucked around the right end of a long fauces which led from the street. The garden was enclosed by a low wall and a gutter on the north and west and a narrow portico with one column on the north. A cistern opening was built into the wall on the west. Two marble heads 0.16 m. hig...

VIII.5.15-16/18.

A. Over half the depth of the insula was crossed by a long angiportus which led from the Via dell’Abbondonza to an open area (a) past a wide portico. This extensive area was most likely used as a garden having a water basin in the southwest corner for irrigation. The first two columns in the portic...

VIII.5.24. Casa del Medico

The famous painting “Judgment of Solomon” (0.45 x 1.55m.; Mus. Naz. inv. no. 113 197; Ruesch no. 1343) was found in this garden (a) on the low wall that connected the four columns and one pillar of the portico. This small garden was located to the right of the atrium and the enclosing portico stood...

VIII.5.28. Casa della Calce; Casa dell’Imperatore Francesco II

Three wide doorways led from the atrium of this house, which did not have a tablinium, to the peristyle of this large garden (a). Nine fluted columns supported the portico which bordered the garden on the east, north and part of the west with a gutter on these same sides. Holes in the columns 0.97 ...

VIII.5.37. Casa delle Pareti Rosse; House of the Fabii

This house was excavated in 1882 to reveal a small garden (a) at the rear entered by passageways on either side of the tablinium. The portico on the east had one column and two engaged columns with a low wall that allowed entrance on the south end. Rooms on the west probably had a roof that extende...

VIII.5.39. House of Acceptus and Euhodia

A. This house was excavated in 1882 to reveal a small garden (a) at the rear entered by passageways on either side of the tablinium. The portico on the east had one column and two engaged columns with a low wall that allowed entrance on the south end. Rooms on the west probably had a roof that exte...

VIII.5.9.

At the rear of the tablinium excavated in 1881 a narrow garden (a) had a portico on the north supported by one pilaster, one engaged column and five stuccoed free-standing columns. The east end of the garden became very narrow with a jut in the back wall and a small, square water basin was built he...

VIII.6.2/7. (no. 12 at Pompeii)

At the time of the eruption this site (a) was under construction. A portico was being built on the south and west sides using brick-shaped tufa columns and three old tufa columns. The columns on the south were salvaged from an earlier building. This was a large area, the intended use not clear. It ...

VIII.6.9-10/1. House and Bakery

The atrium at the front of this house had been converted into a bakery. Towards the back a portico surrounded a small area (a). The portico columns were black at the base and red above, three on the north and three on the south and were connected by a low wall 0.47 m. high, but only the bases survi...

VIII.7.16. Gladiatorial Barracks; Ludus Gladiatorius; Schola Gladiatoria

A public garden laid out to the specifications of Vitruvius originally occupied the area at the rear of the Great Theater. There was a seventy four column portico enclosing an area with green plots of trees and shrubs and pathways for promenades. In the later years of the city the colonnade was con...

VIII.7.24.

The rooms adjoining the atrium of this house, excavated in 1795-1798, had been converted to a sculptor’s workshop. To the left of the atrium and up fifteen steps was a garden (a) with a surrounding portico and a fountain in the center. The triclinium to the north offered a view of the garden and th...

VIII.7.26-27.

Beyond shop 26 and the living quarters behind it there was a very large garden (a) that was entered directly from the atrium through the portico that stood at the north side of the garden. The garden could also be reached by the long, narrow angiportus located at the rear of the east portico of the...

VIII.7.30. The Triangular Forum

The Doric Temple in the Triangular Forum was excavated between 1767 and 1797. A superlative view from the colonnade at the edge of the cliff looked across the Bay and a marble fountain basin supported by a fluted marble base stood in front of a middle column of the north portico catching water that...

VIII.7.6.

The extremely long entranceway from the street led all the way to the back of the house into the garden (a) which was excavated in 1906. A portico bordered the garden on the east with four columns, white on top and black on the bottom, connected with a low wall with an entrance on the north end. (F...