puteal

VIII.5.15-16/18.

A. Over half the depth of the insula was crossed by a long angiportus which led from the Via dell’Abbondonza to an open area (a) past a wide portico. This extensive area was most likely used as a garden having a water basin in the southwest corner for irrigation. The first two columns in the portic...

VIII.5.2. Casa del Gallo; House of the Cock

At the time of the eruption this peristyle garden (a) was in the process of renovation. Located behind the tablinium, the white fluted columns on the east and north were still standing, however, all of the columns on the west and two of the south columns had been demolished. There was a rectangular...

VIII.5.9.

At the rear of the tablinium excavated in 1881 a narrow garden (a) had a portico on the north supported by one pilaster, one engaged column and five stuccoed free-standing columns. The east end of the garden became very narrow with a jut in the back wall and a small, square water basin was built he...