tablinium

Casa del Salone Nero (VI.13/11)

Excavation of this garden (a) to the rear of this elegant house took place in the spring of 1939. The garden was completely surround by a portico which had eight columns and two pillars on the north side with engaged columns placed strategically so as to provide an unimpeded view from the tablinum....

VIII.2.1. House of Championnet I

This house was excavated in 1799 and to the rear of the tablinium there was a portico which enclosed an area surrounded by a gutter. Openings were cut in the floor where the twelve supporting columns stood to allow light into the rooms below in the volcanic ledge. Mazois and Fiorelli labeled this a...

VIII.2.13.

The room (b) to the east had a good view into this garden (a) which was located to the rear of the tablinium. A column supported portico bordered the garden on the east and south. Plans Plan of the Pompeii Region VIII, Insula II Plan of the Pompeii Region VIII, Insula II, 1-20 Pleiades ID 432...

VIII.3.4. House of Hercules and Auge; House of the Popidii

A. Past the tablinium of this house there was a garden (a) with a portico on the north and most of the west side. B. The garden (a) had an entrance to this area (b) which was planted after having been cleared of old structures. Plans Plan of Region VIII Insula III Pleiades ID 432873 TGN ID 70318...

VIII.4.9. House of T. Mescinius Gelo

What was formerly a garden with a pool was converted into a large open area (a) by the demolition of some walls to the rear of the tablinium. Significant remnants of woolen and linen cloth were recovered from the area when it was excavated in 1860-1861 and this led Fiorelli to believe that the Stab...

VIII.5.2. Casa del Gallo; House of the Cock

At the time of the eruption this peristyle garden (a) was in the process of renovation. Located behind the tablinium, the white fluted columns on the east and north were still standing, however, all of the columns on the west and two of the south columns had been demolished. There was a rectangular...

VIII.5.28. Casa della Calce; Casa dell’Imperatore Francesco II

Three wide doorways led from the atrium of this house, which did not have a tablinium, to the peristyle of this large garden (a). Nine fluted columns supported the portico which bordered the garden on the east, north and part of the west with a gutter on these same sides. Holes in the columns 0.97 ...

VIII.5.37. Casa delle Pareti Rosse; House of the Fabii

This house was excavated in 1882 to reveal a small garden (a) at the rear entered by passageways on either side of the tablinium. The portico on the east had one column and two engaged columns with a low wall that allowed entrance on the south end. Rooms on the west probably had a roof that extende...

VIII.5.9.

At the rear of the tablinium excavated in 1881 a narrow garden (a) had a portico on the north supported by one pilaster, one engaged column and five stuccoed free-standing columns. The east end of the garden became very narrow with a jut in the back wall and a small, square water basin was built he...