An ancient Roman town of Campania destroyed by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D.79. Named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
Casa del Salone Nero
Excavation of this garden (a) to the rear of this elegant house took place in the spring of 1939. The garden was completely surround by a portico which had eight columns and two pillars on the north side with engaged columns placed strategically so as to provide an unimpeded view from the tablinum. The southwest corner of the garden was the location of a small pool (0.82 x 0.63).
Maiuri, Ercolano, p. 240 and fig. 187 (plan) on p. 239 (worldcat)
Wilhelmina Jashemski (https://lib.guides.umd.edu/c.php?g=326514&p=2193250)
21 Apr 20210