insulae

II.ii.2 (House of D. Octavius Quartio)

A. The spacious Tuscan atrium of this luxurious house excavated in 1918-1921 was a lavish garden. A low, double masonry wall, faced with marble on the outside, bordered the impluvium and according to Spinazzola, the space between the walls had been ...

Insula dei Dipinti

The large open area in this insula, divided into two by a wall, was identified as a garden at the time of excavation (1914 to 1919), but on little evidence apart from the absence of paving over most of the area. Recent excavations have however clari...

Peristyle garden in house of Messius Ampliatus (II.ii.4)

Dates Unspecified Bibliography Della, Corte M, Case Ed Abitanti Di Pompei, Pompei-scavi: M. Della Corte, 1954. Print. worldcat Jashemski, Wilhelmina F, ‘The Garden of Hercules at Pompeii’ (II.viii.6): The Discovery of a Commercial Flower Garden....

Shrine Complex in Insula E125

A few decades after a Nabataean shrine (Fig. 2) at Hauarra had been severely damaged during the Roman conquest of Arabia Petraea, the site’s inhabitants built another shrine at the same location. The Roman-period shrine occupied the southeast corner...

VIII.5.15-16/18.

A. Over half the depth of the insula was crossed by a long angiportus which led from the Via dell’Abbondonza to an open area (a) past a wide portico. This extensive area was most likely used as a garden having a water basin in the southwest corner f...

VIII.6.4-5. Market Garden

After the earthquake the eastern part of this insula had been converted into a market garden. When it was excavated in 1883-1884 some of the soil contours remained. A basin in the northwest corner collected water that was diverted from the street. G...