mosaics (visual works)

Garden Houses (Case a Giardino)

The area in which these houses are situated was laid out as a residential area in c. 128 CE as part of the Hadrianic remodeling of Ostia (Fig. 1). It is delimited by buildings of various depths, due to the irregularity of the available space. The central area is occupied by two blocks each comprisi...

House H (Maison H)

This house, the largest in insula III (lots 2,3,4,9,10), rivals the House of the Cascade in size and richness of mosaics (Plan view, Fig.1). A semicircular basin extended into the garden on the S and E sides, each decorated with a marine scene. Plans Fig.1: Plan of the House H (CMT, pp.121-128). ...

House of Amor and Psyche

The entrance of this house (Fig. 1) (which takes its name from the statuary group found in room b) provides access to a large portico (a) with four columns on marble bases, resting on a continuous marble-paneled balustrade 50 cm high. To the right of the portico was an area believed to be a garden ...

House of Bacchus and Ariadne (Maison de Bacchus et Ariane)

This large house, occupying most of an insula (excavated in l925), dates in its present form from the early fifth century. The SW part of the house was devoted to business, the production of olive oil. The rooms on the NE side of the residence area were arranged around a peristyle garden. The mosai...

House of Europa, Central District (Maison d'Europe, Quartier Central)

The block of buildings termed the House of Europa, about 1500 square meters in area, extends along the main Cardo, quite over the north gate of the town. It included large and small baths, a monumental entrance, shops and other areas for commercial use, and a peristyle house on the north side. It w...

House of Hylas, Central District (Maison de Castorius, Quartier central)

This small, irregular house, resting against the west wall of the judicial basilica, was found in a ruined state in 1938. On the side of the corridor leading from the Severan Forum, there was a garden, about 11 by 12 meters in size. It was enclosed by a portico on the north and the east sides, with...

House of Nicentus (Maison de Nicentus)

The house is adjacent to the E angle of the Forum at the back of the Curia. It was laid out around a peristyle garden (VI-X) of 12 columns (Plan view, Fig. 1). A low wall separated the porticos from the garden. Two semicircular pools projected into the garden; they were located in the axis of two r...

House of the Fortuna Annonaria

The peristyle garden (Fig. 1, a) has travertine columns on three sides. The fourth side coincides with the perimeter wall of the house, which forms part of the original plan, dating to the 2nd century CE. The last phase of the domus, lavishly decorated with precious marbles, dates to the 4th centur...

House of the Grand Oecus (Maison du grand oecus)

This house is the most important dwelling discovered to date at Utica. The large peristyle garden (XXVII), enclosed by a portico on four sides (XXVIII-XXX) had a long basin euripus concave at each end down the center of the garden (Plan view, Fig. 1). The bottom was paved with a simple mosaic. The ...

House of the Palms (Maison des Palmes)

The house of the Palms was located to the NW of the forum. A semicircular basin was installed at a later date over the mosaic in the NW portico at the edge of what was perhaps a small garden (Plan View, Fig. 1). Maps Plans Fig. 1: Plan of the House of the Palms (CMT, V. II, fasc.1, plan 25-26. ) ...

House of the Protomes (Maison des Protomés)

This very large house on the western edge of the site had two sectors, the Trifolium area and the Protomes area (Plan view, Fig. 1). The Trifolium sector, was laid out around a peristyle garden (I-V) enclosed on four sides by a portico of 12 columns. The garden, 35 cm lower than the level of the po...

House of the West (Maison de l'est)

The peristyle garden (V) has a rectangular basin with curved angles extending from two middle columns on the W side, facing the triclinium (XI) (Plan view, Fig.1). The house is dated to the II century. Plans Fig.1: Plan of the House of the West (CMT, plan 4) Dates 2nd century CE Bibliography Bu...

Insula dei Dipinti

The large open area in this insula, divided into two by a wall, was identified as a garden at the time of excavation (1914 to 1919), but on little evidence apart from the absence of paving over most of the area. Recent excavations have however clarified the phases of the garden and added some signi...

Villa of Herodes Atticus

A large (20,000 sq. m.) villa on a small hill near the ancient site of Eua has been systematically excavated since the 1980s. Most of the discoveries, however, remain unpublished. Because the earliest remains date to the Flavian period and an inscription mentions the name Hipparchus, father of Hero...