pergolas

II.9.6-7 House of Summer Triclinium

A. To the west of the Great Palaestra there was a large garden which was partially excavated in 1954-1956. A low masonry wall with planting spaces in the top enclosed an elaborate masonry triclinium (l. medius, 4.45 m.; l. imus 4.20; l. summus 3.55 m.) with a table 0.65 x 0.75 m.) on the south, wes...

II.ii.2 (House of D. Octavius Quartio)

A. The spacious Tuscan atrium of this luxurious house excavated in 1918-1921 was a lavish garden. A low, double masonry wall, faced with marble on the outside, bordered the impluvium and according to Spinazzola, the space between the walls had been lined with wood to form a planting box for flowers...

Petra Garden and Pool Complex

The only example of a garden investigated using specialized garden archaeology techniques in the region of Arabia Petraea is found at Petra. A large open area was believed to be the site of a marketplace, the so-called “Lower Market,” until excavations revealed the remnants of a formal garden and p...

Porticus Liviae

Located on the Oppian hill between the Clivus Suburanus and the later Baths of Trajan (Thermae Traiani) in the Subura, the Porticus Liviae is represented on three fragments of the Severan Marble Plan (FUR). The public porticus was constructed on the site of the grand Domus of Publius Vedius Pollio,...

VIII.3.15. Caupona

This caupona had originally been part of a house according to Fiorelli. The unusual building had a garden (a) in the northeast corner that occupied over one quarter of the house and contained a masonry stibadium, (3.50 m. at the widest dimension), perhaps the only one in Pompeii. A monopodium suppo...

VIII.7.10. Shop-House

Behind shop no. 10 and the accompanying living quarters was a garden (a) enclosed by a low wall on the east with an entrance on the north end. The excavations in 1906 uncovered a triclinium (l. medius, 4.60 m.; l. imus and l. summus 3.20 m.) attached to the south wall with painted plaster decoratin...

VIII.7.6.

The extremely long entranceway from the street led all the way to the back of the house into the garden (a) which was excavated in 1906. A portico bordered the garden on the east with four columns, white on top and black on the bottom, connected with a low wall with an entrance on the north end. (F...