puteals

VIII.3.24.

A. The earthquake destroyed an elegant house on this site and this house was subsequently rebuilt on the ruins. A long fauces terminated in the garden (a) which was bounded on the north and part of the east and west sides by a portico. A low wall connected the supporting columns with an entrance on...

VIII.4.15. House of C. Cornelius Rufus; House of C. Cornelius Adiutor

Eighteen partially fluted columns supported the large portico (a) surrounding this spacious peristyle garden. Excavated in 1861, the garden was located at the rear of the tablinum and could be viewed from the large triclinium on the east or the exedra on the west. A wooden fence had enclosed the ga...

VIII.7.16. Gladiatorial Barracks; Ludus Gladiatorius; Schola Gladiatoria

A public garden laid out to the specifications of Vitruvius originally occupied the area at the rear of the Great Theater. There was a seventy four column portico enclosing an area with green plots of trees and shrubs and pathways for promenades. In the later years of the city the colonnade was con...